Coastal Property Management
|Luxury Rentals||Vacation Rentals||Longterm Rentals||Commercial Rentals|
|Specials||About Us||For Owners||FAQ||Rental Locations||About Costa Rica Vacation Rentals||Contact Us||En Español|
Costa Rica Frequently Asked QuestionsThis Costa Rica FAQ is for visitors to the area. If you are owner, please click to learn more about Coastal Property Management.
About Costa Rica In General:
- What currency is accepted in Costa Rica?
The official currency is the colon but US dollars are accepted everywhere you will be. It is not necessary to change money but you may received change in colones if you pay in dollars. There are ATMs in most tourist areas and all major cities. Note that the closest ATM to Playa Grande is at Banco Popular in Huacas. There is also one at Playa Conchal.
- Are traveler's checks accepted in most places?
No, travelers checks are rarely accepted in Costa Rica except at banks where the owner can exchange them in person for cash. They take up to 40 days to clear, so most businesses will not accept them. Personal checks from outside of Costa Rica are not accepted either.
- What are the international airports?
There are international airports in Liberia and San Jose. The Liberia airport is about an hour from most properties managed by Coastal Property Management. The San Jose airport is 4-5 hours away depending on traffic.
- What time zone is Costa Rica in?
Costa Rica is in Central American Standard time. It fluctuates between Central and Mountain time in North America depending on day light savings.
- Is Costa Rica an island?
No, Puerto Rico is an island :)
- How long is a tourist visa?
A tourist visa from most countries in the world included USA and Canada is 3 months, and you just get your passport stamped when you enter. However, passports from some countries such Venezuela get shorter visas.
- Is there an exit tax?
If you are flying internationally from either airport mentioned above, the exist tax is $26US. You can pay in dollars, colones or Visa. You can pay this at the kiosks at airport before you stand in line to check in with your airline.
- Where are the properties located?
Our properties are located close to the Pacific Ocean in the province of Guanacaste and the County of Santa Cruz in areas including Tamarindo, Langosta, Playa Grande, Hacienda Pinilla, Reserva Conchal, Flamingo and Potrero.
- What is included? Our properties are fully functional so they all have at least small kitchens and additionally include sheets, towels, kitchenware, toilet paper, etc. Our expectation is that you bring your clothing, toiletries and beach towels.
- Is transportation included? No, transportation is not included in our published rates. We will be happy to help you secure transportation from either airport to the property at your cost.
- Is there internet? Almost all of our properties have wireless internet, but please read the listing thoroughly to be sure as a couple do not.
- How do I pay my bill? We accept non-refundable reservation deposits (50%) via Mastercard, Visa, Amex and Discovery or wire or deposit to our bank account. Your balance can be paid in cash in either US Dollars or Costa Rican Colones. We do not EVER accept non-Costa Rican checks nor do we accept travelers' checks.
- When is the balance due? The balance is due upon arrival. You will be asked to pay the balance at check in and before you receive the keys.
- Are late check-ins allowed? Yes, we can check you in even if you will be arriving late. Our office is open until 5PM Costa Rica time 7 days a week. If you need to check in after this hour, please be sure to confirm your arrival time with our staff, and we will meet you.
- How do I schedule activities? The easiest way to schedule activities is prior to your arrival. Contact our office for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- What types of animals can be seen nearby? - So many we made a Costa Rica Animals page.